Curro Nelspruit in Puma High School rugby league
Saturday 27 April saw the start of the 2019 Puma High School rugby league. The event was hosted by Hoërskool Barberton and Curro Nelspruit were up against Lowveld High.
The day started off with an impressive performance from the Curro U14 team. From the start the Curro players were dominant and had the majority of the possession and field advantage. The Curro forwards used their physicality to break through the Lowveld defence and the backline players were able to run onto front foot ball and create multiple scoring opportunities. Eighth man, Skhumbuzo Mdhuli and wing Enrique van der Merwe each scored two tries along with an impressive kicking performance from Cilliers van Heerden converting 8 out of the 10 tries. Curro ran out 68-0 winners in spite of the match being stopped 10 minutes early.
- The U15 match saw Curro’s dominance continue with the slick Curro team focussing on maintaining possession and playing multiple phases. Lowveld High had no answer and their defensive lines crumbled under the constant pressure. Curro showed good patience in setting up attacking platforms and the players used them to put points on the board. The half time score was 36-0 to Curro. After the break the Curro continued with their fast tempo of play and scored a total of 11 tries in the match with their flyhalf scoring a hat-trick of tries. Lowveld High did never gave up and managed to score a consolation try for a final score of 69-7 to Curro.
- The U16 match was expected to be a closer affair and for much of the first quarter Lowveld High played admirably, but they would eventually falter against the high tempo that this Curro team plays the game. Captain and hooker Udo Cilliers had a strong match for the forwards, scoring two tries and leading from the front with his powerful runs. In the second half the defence of Lowveld High crumbled and Curro were deserved 59-15 winners.
In the 1st XV match Lowveld High were out to regain some pride and prevent a whitewash on the day. Here the senior players came out firing and tested one another physically attempting to gain the upper hand in the early parts of the half. The match was very even and it was clear that the team that maintained possession would be the winner. The half time score was 19-17 to Lowveld. Curro came back strong early in the second half with fullback Gerald Skhosana scoring to take the lead. From here, Lowveld managed to keep the ball and starve Curro of possession. Through well aimed kicks and a sniping run from their flyhalf they regained the lead and did not surrender it to end 36-25 winners.
- U14: Curro 68-0 Lowveld High
- U15: Curro 69-7 Lowveld High
- U16: Curro 59-15 Lowveld High
- 1st XV: Curro 25-36 Lowveld High