Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival 2019 – Scores
A highly successful 12th Standard Bank Kearsney Easter Rugby Festival wrapped up today (Monday) with two teams remaining unbeaten at the festival and the announcement of three players who each received bursaries to The Sharks Academy for 2020.
The festival was well supported particularly on the first two days, with heavy rain and thick mist from lunchtime on the last day chasing spectators under cover, from where they enjoyed a high standard of competitive rugby.
Glenwood High School from Durban and Selborne College from East London both won their first and third day fixtures. The match against each other on Saturday, the second festival day, was abandoned after lightning threatened players’ safety, at which point Selborne was leading 15-10.
Announcing the awards, Sharks Academy managing director Etienne Fynn said the festival had once again produced competitive, entertaining rugby, with most being evenly matched games.
Valued at over R100 000 each, recipients of the Sharks Academy bursaries are Glenwood prop Blaine Golden, Selborne College centre Mtungwa Mapantsela and Dr EG Jansen loose forward Juandre Odendaal. The bursary includes a contract with the Academy next year, accommodation and a tuition bursary with one of its education partners.
“There were some pleasant surprises, especially from Noord-Kaap, Pretoria Boys and Selborne College, who always put up a good performance,” Fynn said. “The Eastern Cape teams showed the extent of talent in that region, with Selborne and Framesby both playing some great rugby. DHS also showed spirit, particularly with the recent loss to the Griquas of coach Scott Mathie.”
It was a successful event for organisers Kearsney College and sponsors Standard Bank, Halfway Ford, MTN, Coopertires and The Sharks Academy.
For photos and live-streaming links from every game go to www.kearsney.com
- Highbury 20-38 U13 KZN Ibutho
- Hoërskool Noord-Kaap 24-21 EG Jansen
- HTS Middelburg 32-27 Pretoria Boys
- Selborne 20-14 Hoërskool Framesby
- DHS 19-27 HTS Drostdy
- Glenwood 38-7 Hoërskool Transvalia
- Kearsney 8-21 Welkom Gimnasium
- Hillcrest Primary 12-36 U13 KZN Ibutho
- Hoërskool Noord-Kaap 27-21 HTS Middelburg
- Hoërskool Transvalia 17-22 Pretoria Boys
- Kearsney 21-26 Hoërskool Framesby
- Welkom Gimnasium 32-16 HTS Drostdy
- DHS 12-39 EG Jansen
- Selborne – Glenwood game abandoned due to lightning – no result
- Umhlali Prep 20-20 U13 KZN Ibutho
- Kearsney 11-27 Pretoria Boys
- Hoërskool Framesby 25-25 Welkom Gimnasium
- Selborne 29-10 Hoërskool Noord-Kaap
- HTS Middelburg 14-19 HTS Drostdy
- Glenwood 27-26 EG Jansen
- DHS 12-34 Hoërskool Transvalia