Keto Chicken Parmi bowl
- 1 egg
- 80g (2/3 cup) almond meal
- 40g (1/2 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh continental parsley, plus extra to serve
- 4 x (about 125g each) chicken breast schnitzels (uncrumbed)
- Extra virgin olive oil, to shallow fry, plus extra to drizzle
- 80ml (1/3 cup) tomato pasta sauce
- 4 slices smoked ham
- 50g (1/2 cup) coarsely grated fresh mozzarella
- 1kg (1 head) cauliflower, trimmed, cut into florets
- 25g butter
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- White pepper, to season
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives, optional
Lightly whisk the egg in a shallow bowl. Combine the almond meal, parmesan and parsley on a plate. Season the chicken. Dip 1 chicken piece in the egg, then into the almond meal mixture, pressing to coat. Transfer to a lined tray. Repeat with the remaining chicken, egg and almond meal mixture. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
For the puree, place the cauliflower in a medium saucepan over high heat and cover with water. Cook for 15 – 20 minutes or until tender. Drain into a colander, reserving 1/3 cup of the cooking liquid. Heat the butter in the saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the cooked cauliflower, cream and reserved cooking liquid. Simmer for 3 minutes or until reduced slightly. Remove from the heat and use a stab blender to blend until smooth. Season with salt and white pepper. Stir through the chives, if using. Cover and set aside.
Heat 1cm of oil in a large, heavy based frypan over high heat. Cook the chicken in batches, for 3 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Remove the baking paper from the tray. Transfer the chicken to the tray.
Preheat the grill to high. Spoon a dollop of tomato pasta sauce over each schnitzel. Top with ham and sprinkle with cheese. Grill for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is golden. Sprinkle with extra parsley if desired.
Meanwhile, return the cauliflower puree to medium heat and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve the chicken with the puree.